Friday, January 16, 2009

Both ends

It was bound to happen at some point, I just thought it would be this soon. I travelled all through southeast asia eating street food, drinking whatever juices I wanted and slept in a few sketchy places and still managed not to get sick. I don´t know how I have the training and pre-approval of sources of sustence from the U.S. government and got explosivly sick during my first week in country. As I layed in bed deciding if I needed to get up or if I could mind-over-matter the nausea all I could think of was, ¨Two years. TWO YEARS!¨
To drown out those thought I put my headphones on and listened to Mates of State, some ABBA and dipped into my pool of episodes of This American Life to get me through the grumbling and ignore my host mom chuckling at me and telling me ¨Es Natural!¨ (¨maybe for you,¨ I thought)
Thankfully the next day I felt 80% better and was able to attend my classes and today I feel better than I have the whole time I´ve been in Guatemala. Things are looking up. The Jelly Bellies that one of my classmates let us scarf helped too.
Tomorrow I learn how to make tortillas and speak mas y mas espanol. Everyday has an adventure it seems.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you've entered the blogging world. I love your writing style and am excited about keeping up with you and this chapter of adventures. Yay!