Sunday, January 11, 2009

Short but...short

I made it! I didn´t know if it´d ever really happen but I´ve arrived in Guatemala as a Peace Corps Trainee with asperations of becoming a full-fledged Volunteer.
After many shiftings things and places Í´ve arrived at my host family of 3 months here in Pastores which is just a stones throw from Antigua.
Right after I met these fine people I was toted around to my family´s niece´s house for wedding preparations. I barely remembered my mom´s name and I´m in my finest going to the impossible to get cathedral for a big catholic wedding and then to the reception that seemed to be a never ending dance party. I had fun and loved to watch the people dance and listen to the music but I have been über tired and accustomed to going to sleep at 9p so when I finally got my pjs on at 2:30 this morning I had been out of it long before that. There was not too much sleeping in gracias a mi little brother and the roosters RIGHT outside my window.
Although my Spanish has been good enough to place me not in the dumbass group I´m not much above it and it seems to have gotten worse since I´ve been left to my own. These next 3 months are going to be jammed and full of frustrating spanish lessons but I look forward to it, especially since it´ll be comfy compared to what I´ve got coming in the next 2 years.
Well, I´m running out of time and money. I´m poor now. I earn something around $4 a day so I need to be careful even when those bootleg DVD´s call my name.

1 comment:

John Coulter said...

I was in the third from the bottom group. Anne was in the top/native speaker group.